We are looking for our client, an international engineering consultancy and equipment development company in the field of satellite communications a Cryogenic/Thermal Engineer for a permanent contract with experience in working with radio-frequency applications.
The successful applicant will join engineering team and will report directly to the Cryogenics Business Unit Manager for the responsibilities listed below.
Participation in the design, development and production of cryogenic radio-frequency receiver systems involving:
- Preliminary and detailed thermal design, selection of cryocoolers, definition of thermal insulation, computation of thermal loads and temperature by means of thermal simulations
- Preliminary and detailed vacuum design: selection of materials, definition of surface treatment, definition of outgassing methods and procedures, computation and measurements of outgassing rates, computation of vacuum conductance and pumping speed, design of vacuum sub-systems.
- Preliminary mechanical design and support to detailed design: cryogenic integration, aspects related to thermal and vacuum designs. This work will be done in conjunction with a CAD technician.
- The candidate does not need experience in CAD software; however it would be an asset
- Integration and test of cryogenics receivers: Mechanical, thermal and vacuum integration, definition of test and validation plans and procedures, execution of tests, production of test reports.
Leading the design, development and production of cryogenic test systems involving:
- Preliminary and detailed thermal design (as described above) but also including definition and design of liquid nitrogen systems (tank definition, valves, gauges, piping and connectors selections).
- Integration and test of cryogenic Test Systems.
Supporting the execution of services related to cryogenics and vacuum systems.
- Supervision of technicians.
- Undertaking feasibility analysis of customers' requirements
- Providing expertise on diagnosis, maintenance and repair.
Project management activities associated with the above.
The ideal candidate will have at least a relevant professional work experience in cryogenics . But also:
- Thermal engineer profile with low temperatures (cryogenics) specialty
- Strong understanding of cryogenic coolers (cryocoolers) types GM and Stirling
- Experience in design and testing of "dry" cryogenic systems (without cryogenic liquids)
- Experience in design and testing of liquid nitrogen systems
- Strong understanding of vacuum application to cryogenic thermal insulations
- Experience in thermal simulation software for cryogenics, for instance ThermXL Communications simulation tools (e.g. Matlab/Simulink)
- Experience in Project Management
- The candidate shall have radiofrequency engineering basic skills and/or demonstrate a true capacity to develop competences in radiofrequency engineering.
Academics: Al least 5-year degree in engineering or physics with focus on thermodynamics, low temperatures/cryogenics and electromagnetic radiation . Newly qualified PHD welcome.