Job title: Associate scientist (Senior) in Glycoconjugate purification and analysis
Janssen Vaccines and Prevention BV, one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, is dedicated to bringing meaningful innovation to global health. Our teams focus on the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of vaccines and antibodies to protect people worldwide from infectious diseases.
In our organization, entrepreneurial people are working in a dynamic culture in which innovation and a 'can do' state of mind are the central points. In order to strengthen our team, we are continuously looking for enthusiastic, talented people who have the ambition to develop themselves and can be of value to Janssen.
The Bacterial Vaccines department is working on the discovery and early development of novel vaccines for bacterial infectious diseases. It strives to address unmet medical needs, such as bacteremia (sepsis), meningitis, and respiratory tract and nosocomial infections. Projects at the Bacterial Vaccines department are primarily structured on scientific and technical collaboration with external biotechnology partners (governmental and industrial) that are innovative leaders in their field. This working process includes 'state of the art' vaccine discovery, with subsequent in vivo evaluation of these vaccine candidates in animal models for immunogenicity and/or efficacy. In addition, manufacturing processes are and established, and the resulting clinical trial material is evaluated in human clinical studies.
The Bacterial Vaccines department is recruiting a qualified Associate scientist (Senior) in Glycoconjugate purification and analysis for a major vaccine project. In the course of your work, you will interact with various Bacterial Vaccines teams, and with Janssen Vaccines support departments. You will be expected to perform laboratory work fulltime. The Bacterial Vaccines department is strengthening its
biochemical development and analysis capabilities, which are centered mainly on the production and analysis of carbohydrate-protein conjugates and peptide-protein conjugates. Previous experience in an industrial setting would strongly benefit Bacterial Vaccines projects.
Your main responsibilities will be:
* Producing and evaluating carbohydrate-protein conjugates in small-scale experiments, with an emphasis on purification and analysis.
* Data acquisition and evaluation.
* Daily operation and maintenance of equipment.
* A significant level of independence is expected in this role
* Work will be performed under supervision of a Scientist.
* M.Sc., or equivalent, in a relevant discipline such as pharmaceutical technology, biochemical engineering, bioanalytical sciences or bioorganic chemistry
* Preferably two-four years of professional experience (biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry is a plus).
* Previous experience on protein purification and biochemical analysis is a must.
* Previous experience working with simple organic reactions (e.g. labelling, chemical modifications), and (bio)chemical analysis (e.g. HPLC) is highly valuable.
* Previous experience working with carbohydrates, proteins, and glycoproteins is desirable.
* Communicates clearly.
* Team player, flexible, motivated.
* Planning, organizing and executing work accurately and efficiently.
* Language skills: fluent English. Dutch considered a plus
* Computer skills (MS Office, ChemDraw, etc.)
If this is something you want to do, and you feel confident you have enough experience for the role, please send an email + motivational letter to j.vanbaalen(@)progressive-nl.com