Transmission Planning Engineer (PR-33764363)
Progressive Global Energy is recruiting for a large Power and Energy company for their Power Delivery Group. We are seeking a motivated Planning Engineer to be part of the Electric Transmission Planning Team. Looking for candidates with a combination of both technical and project management skillsets. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with a team of transmission planning engineers to assess and develop transmission expansion plans to ensure system reliability in compliance with relevant NERC Reliability Standards, to support future customer demands, and to successfully defend the company franchise during competitive FERC Order 1000 open window processes.
Looking for candidates with excellent collaboration and team work skill sets. Someone hungry to learn and grow with the team. This is a full-time work from home(remote work) position. The Energy company's corporate office is based in Richmond, VA so candidates need to be available to work Eastern Time Zone hours and there will be flexibility on this once candidates have a proven track record of success. The position does not require travel to site or the office(unless desired). This is a long term contract position that will either go direct hire or keep extending for many years to come. The company currently requires staff employees to work full-time in the Richmond, VA office. Therefore, they are seeking long-term contract employees that will work from home to ensure they retain the right candidate for the position. We offer full benefits to our contract employees (medical, dental, vision, 401k, PTO, etc.). Competitive hourly rates with overtime at time and a half.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform power flow analysis in accordance with NERC Reliability Standards, PJM Planning Criteria, and Company's Energy Electric Transmission Planning Criteria.
- Develop and maintain short circuit and power flow planning models, including the development of Model on Demand project files, contingency file updates, facility rating updates, short circuit change files, and facility impedance updates.
- Work collaboratively with Company's Energy Planning and PJM Planning Teams to perform annual system adequacy assessments to identify future needs for system improvements and develop baseline projects to address criteria violations.
- Document study findings and prepare project recommendations in presentations for external stakeholders' meetings.
- Develop transmission projects to address all identified reliability criteria violations in the Eastern planning area for new customer load interconnections, and generator interconnections.
- Fulfill a technical lead role during study phase of projects to ensure that projects are fully scoped in a timely manner. Also, resolve technical issues that may arise in different phases of a project.
- Sponsor the conceptual phase of all transmission projects in the Eastern planning area. This includes presenting the need, and defending the project with internal and external stakeholders, and supporting the process to obtain all the necessary project approvals
- Represent ET Planning at the PJM Subregional RTEP Meetings, the PJM TEAC Meetings, and the Supplemental Planning Meetings with wholesale customers.
- Manage ratings for all transmission facilities the Eastern planning area in Company's Facility Ratings Management System.
- Assist in the development, maintenance, and enhancement of computer based tools for the Electric Transmission Planning Team as needed.
- Perform other duties as requested and assigned.
The knowledge, skills, abilities, preferred for entry into this job include the following:
- Relevant engineering experience working in the Electric Utility Industry in Transmission System Operations, Substation Engineering, System Protection, Distribution Planning, or Transmission Planning.
- Experience with power system analysis software packages such as PSS\e, Power Gem's TARA software, Aspen One-Liner, Transmission Operations Energy Management System (EMS), etc.
- Demonstrated experience in power system modeling (i.e. short circuit, power flow, EMS)
- Experience writing scripts, macros, or code to develop tools to automate study processes.
- Firm understanding of AC/DC fundamentals, including an understanding of three-phase power systems.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of substation components and their functions.
- In-depth understanding of the protection principles and practices for transmission lines, distribution feeders, and major substation equipment.
- Working knowledge of electric utilities' substation and transmission line one-line diagrams, and relay functional drawings.
- Ability to work proficiently with Microsoft Office applications, OSIsoft PI software, and Facilities Management Applications.
- Self-motivator who has the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment, but is comfortable independently seeking knowledge and information.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to independently plan and organize work assignments.
- Ability to prioritize work and participate as a team member on multiple projects at one time, to work in a fast paced and competitive environment associated with FERC Order 1000.
- Strong analytical, project management, communication and interpersonal skills.
Education (Minimum Requirements)
Required Degree (equivalency not accepted in lieu of required degree):
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering. Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an ABET accredited engineering program.
Preferred Education Disciplines:
- Electrical Engineering Degree with Power Systems focus is strongly preferred.
- Electrical Engineering Degree or Computer Engineering Degree is preferred.
EOE Statement: Specialist Staffing Group is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
To find out more about Progressive please visit www.progressiverecruitment.com