Civil Substation Engineer (PR-33917237)
This role is fully competent in all conventional aspects of the subject matter. Performs and/or reviews engineering calculations, analysis, research and design. Provides cost analysis as needed and develops recommendation based on calculations (e.g. cost for equipment upgrade) for management review. Under direction of supervisor or work leader, exercises independence in evaluating, selecting, and applying standard or well-defined engineering techniques, procedures and criteria. Uses independent judgment in prioritizing and making moderately complex adaptations and modifications. Assignments have clear and specified objectives and require investigation of a limited number of variables.
An Engineer in Substation Civil & Structural Standards would be expected to:
- Design substation structures, foundations and oil-containment systems associated with substation projects, and in support of the substation engineering design group.
- Work closely with project engineers and designers to coordinate the design of structural elements within an overall substation design package, helping to ensure that design schedules are satisfied.
- Perform preliminary structural reviews and design assessments for proposed substation projects and in support of the substation engineering conceptual engineering group.
- Develop, support and help maintain substation technical specifications. Sample specifications include: substation concrete specifications, substation steel specifications, substation fence specifications, substation oil containment specifications and substation welding (aluminum and steel) specifications.
- Establish an industry presence in substation specific committees and working groups. For example, participate in IEEE Std. 605 (Air-insulated bus design) and ASCE 113 (substation structure design standards) working groups.
- Support the structural component of engineer-procure-construct (EPC) evolutions within substation projects. For example, projects that relate to the turn-key installation of Gas-Insulated Substations (GIS), Flexible AC Transmission System (FACTS) devices, switchgear, fences, walls and helical pier foundation systems.
- Perform structural reviews and written evaluations of existing foundations and steel structures during emergency equipment replacement evolutions (including foundation assessments for large power transformers, circuit breakers, capacitor banks, etc.,) with an emergency spare.
- Normal and emergency (real-time) support for operation and construction evolutions.
- Future development into site plan engineering. Including, but not limited to: grading design, storm water management, permit preparation and environmental compliance.
- Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Experiences (Minimum Requirements)
The knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences that are required for entry into this job include the following:
- This position requires a minimum of 4 years of related experience (structural engineering, site plan engineering, or demonstrated equivalent).
- Knowledge and application of engineering theories and principles, concepts, and fundamentals.
- Requires developmental experience in a professional engineering position.
- Competency in applying engineering principles, fundamental concepts, practices and procedures requiring some evaluation, originality and/or ingenuity to achieve project objectives.
- Understands and can apply knowledge of configuration management.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations using applicable software programs (e.g. Mathcad, Excel, etc.).
- Planning, organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to develop and exercise leadership skills.
- Effective decision making skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills (includes technical writing).
- Ability to think analytically and solve complex problems.
- Ability to interpret codes, regulations and practices.
- Equally effective working independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to process information quickly and effectively manages multiple tasks.
- Experience using MicroStation is a plus.
- Experience using Autodesk Civil 3D is a plus.
- Experience with Math Cad is a plus
EOE Statement: Specialist Staffing Group is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
To find out more about Progressive please visit www.progressiverecruitment.com