An Automation Engineer creates engineering designs, construction drawing packages, and related specifications for projects in the assigned engineering group. Performs engineering studies, design calculations and evaluates alternative designs or processes. Provides primary engineering expertise in the design, modification and maintenance of software and schemes associated with automation, control, metering and monitoring of conventional and integrated substations. Oversight and management of the NERC CIP requirements for associated facilities and devices. Specifies material and equipment required for assigned projects and assists in the evaluation of suppliers and products. Provides technical expertise and support to other areas and customers related to automation activities. Acts as a project engineer/manager for automation projects.
- Develops designs and evaluates possible alternatives to meet major and minor project requirements. The primary design responsibilities encompass automation and control related equipment required for effective monitoring and control of electrical generation, high voltage transmission, distribution systems, interconnections, major equipment and overall material specification and ordering, equipment factory acceptance, device configuration, wiring and communication network design, commissioning checkout creation and functional checkout. Works closely with the project manager on overall project management from inception to energizing.
- Develops detailed design specifications appropriate for the use in compiling material lists, procurement activities for equipment, materials and service required for project completion.
- Evaluates, from an engineering standpoint, vendors, manufacturers, equipment and/or components available to meet project specifications and in conjunction with the Materials Procurement Department recommends awards that optimize cost and reliability.
- Develops and monitors work progress on project schedules to assure proper coordination of events during the design, construction, testing and energizing phases of a project.
- Specify and evaluate hardware, software and communications networks for integrated / automated substation control, metering, and monitoring.
- Develop hardware and software-based control schemes for manual and automated control, monitoring and data logging.
- Work closely with other engineering groups, Systems Operations and C&M to assure their needs are met without compromising safety.
- Develop detailed functional specifications as required to procure necessary hardware and software. Work with outside contractors as required assuring specification adherence.
- Write and perform functional checkout procedures to verify all substation data and proper operation of all substation human-machine interfaces (HMI's) and System Control and Date Acquisition (SCADA) functions.
- Assist protection engineers with data collection and analysis of system disturbances.
- Assists with departmental and interdepartmental training to assure proper installation, operation and/or maintenance of equipment when requested.
- Document physical and logical maps of the infrastructure as well as define and follow standards and procedures in relation to the network and its devices
- Ensure security is maintained on the network and software patches are applied appropriately
- Ensure change control processes are followed and service levels affected by those changes, are maintained
- Assist field personnel with troubleshooting of communications networks and control schemes.
- Keep abreast of ever-changing communications technologies, digital protective relay technology, and various other intelligent electronic devices used for substation control, metering, and monitoring.
- Oversee development of standards and procedures to reduce costs and maintain consistency among designs.
- Assist with section O&M and capital budget preparation and adherence.
- Assigns, directs, and reviews the work of assigned engineers and/or other employees associated with an assignment. Consults on problems of a technical nature encountered during various work assignments.
- Reports to the section Engineering Supervisor or Superintendent and performs other assignments as requested.
- This position may provide services to affiliates of the Company subject to the UNS Energy Code of Conduct and the related Policies and Procedures.